Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"If I Stay" Week of 9.08.14

Pages Read: 1- 51
Author: Gayle Forman

              "If I Stay" uses a lot of imagery and figurative language throughout the book. Even though I just started reading this book, I noticed multiple examples of the different types of imagery. In this book Mia gets into a car accident with her family causing her to go into a coma. The author switches up the events for every "chapter". One chapter is about the state that she is in while in a come and then the next chapter is flashbacks of before the accident. This is an example of sight. They are using sight by describing what she was seeing in that period of time. Another way that they use sight is by describing what she sees at the accident seen. (She is in a state that she is "out of her body" while in a come) They also use the imagery device of sound. They use sound when describing the music she is playing on her cello. One other imagery device I noticed so far it of feeling. They use feeling when describing the clothes she was wearing or how it felt when hugging a family member, etc.

              My prompt for this week is: How would you feel if you were in your characters position? If I was in Mia's position I would feel scared and depressed. I would be scared because I don't know if I am dead or not, or if I even have a chance at living. Being in the state that she is, I would be wondering why this happened and if it was my fault. Knowing that your family was in the crash with you and you can't find them is really scary and depressing. If I were Mia I would just try again and again to wake up and concur the battle. I wouldn't want to e stuck there and give up because I know that everyone would want me to fight.

            Gayle Forman wrote this book in a really interesting way. Instead of having actual chapters she uses time. Every time section switches from at the hospital to a flashback of previous days and months. I like this because you know how long she is in a coma and how long she is going though surgery and or other medical problems. It also helps me follow what the plot of the story better than if she were to put chapters that switch up every time. This is an amazing book already and I only am 51 pages in!

             

6 comments:

  1. I ddi the same book!! Well, good blog for this week. But I have one question, wasn't the whole blog supposed to be on imagery? Anyway I really like how you gave good strong pieces of imagery and when you went to your prompt, you were explicit with details and it all flowed well together. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gianna,

    I really liked your blog this week! This sounds like an amazing book. Has it been hard to interpret the figurative language and imagery in the book, or do you understand it right away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts of the book were harder to interpret but for the most part is was easy.

      Delete
  3. I commented on Nik's, Julia's, and Bela's blog post for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have to agree with you if you were in Mia's position because it can actually be quite startling. You don't know what to do, you just stay discombobulated. I saw this movie about two weeks ago and I wish I could have read the book first. Hopefully, you'll enjoy this love story!

    ReplyDelete