Thursday, September 18, 2014

"If I Stay" Week of 9.15.14

Pages: 51- 101
Prompt: What is the point of view in the story? How do you know? Was it hard to find the point of view, why or why not?  What is the theme of the story?

                In the book If I Stay, the story is told in first person point of view.  I know that it is told in first person point of view because the author uses words like "I", "me", and "my".  The story is told by Mia and she goes back and forth from when she is in a coma and before she was in a coma. First and Third point of views are most common in books. This book clearly uses first person point of view because Mia talks all about her feelings and what she sees throughout the book. First person point of view is told by the main character and they use the pronouns that describe them and the life around them.

              When looking for the point of view in If I Stay it was not hard. I didn't think it was hard because the word choice made it obvious. Like I said in the previous paragraph, the author uses words like "I", "me", "we", and "my".  It was also easy for me because the story is about the main character and how she is explaining what happened that day and all the days leading up to it. I immediately could infer that the story was told in first person point of view because of the storyline and how it is supposed to be told.

              The theme of this story is "just keep fighting no matter what." I chose this week's theme based on how I saw it. I think that this book shows that even if you wake up in a coma and you don't know what is going on or if you will have anyone left when you get out of it, you just have to try. You never know if someone is there waiting for that minute you get up. It is just like when life get's tuff, you have to push through the dark days to get to the sunny days. Even though I am not finished with the book I do believe that this will be the theme for the book. I am inferring that the theme will be very similar to my prediction.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I really liked how you said you knew the point of view is in first person because it has words such as, "I, me, and my". In my story, it's not in first person so it uses words such as, "them, they, she, he." Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete