Thursday, April 30, 2015

Which Tuesday Lesson Impacted you the most? 4.30.15

Prompt: Based on the 6 Tuesdays you have read about in Tuesdays with Morrie, choose which topic (The World, Feeling Sorry For Yourself, Regrets, Death, Family, or Emotions) that has had the most impact on you or inspired you. On your blog discuss the importance of this topic with your own opinions, including textual evidence (direct quotes) from the book.


     I think that the Sixth Tuesday, Emotions, was one of the lessons that impacted me quite a bit. This one impacted me in a way that I'll be able to use throughout my whole life. In this lesson Morrie talked about how sometimes you have to detach yourself from your feelings. This is something I recently learned before reading Tuesday's With Morrie. I learned that you can't let you emotions and or feelings, get in the way of things. That was something Morrie was trying to explain to Mitch. He was telling Mitch that detachment from emotions and feelings can be a good thing. He said "I need to be able to detach from the horror. I need to say 'This is my moment.' This is showing that detaching from feelings can be good when you need to focus on something or when you need to keep fighting. We need to pull away from the fear sometimes to get to the good side. But it isn't always with fear of horror. Sometimes we need to detach ourselves from the love we give to others. Morrie was trying to say that we shouldn't be consumed in our feelings.

     This has impacted me a little bit so far and it will defiantly impact me in the future. Right now it has impacted me in a few different ways. One way was the regret and sadness I was feeling. I was letting regret consume me even though I shouldn't have felt regret in the first place. A few weeks ago my Great Aunt passed away at the age of 50. I was very sad that I didn't have the chance to say goodbye to her and I was very upset. I let the sadness take over and let it put me in a dark place. I learned how to detach myself from feeling this way. I learned that I shouldn't be so upset because she is in a better place now. I also felt regret because I didn't go to the funeral service. I didn't go because I knew that I couldn't handle it. I couldn't bring myself to accept that she passed away. Immediately after the service I felt guilty for not going. But then I read about detaching feelings and realized that I should't feel guilty. I learned that I just had to remove myself from feeling this way and move forward because it was getting in the way of my life.

     I think that this is one of the most important lessons. I feel it is important because everyone should learn how to detach themselves from feelings and emotions. We may not always want to detach ourselves from feeling a certain way, but in certain instances we have to. We can't let fear take over our lives. If we are scared to take new risks on activities, jobs, meeting people, or even clothes, we may not be living life to the fullest. Living life to it's fullest and not "sleep walking" is another lesson Morrie gave to Mitch that has impacted my life. The point is, we can't be afraid to let go of things that are harming us. An emotion can be harming you mentally and even physically. By detaching yourself, you can stop the harm it's causing you by being wrapped up in your emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment