Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: Two Voice poem 2.13.14

Bruno                                                                                                                            Shmuel

I'm Bruno.
                                                                                                                                      I'm Shmuel.
Hi.
What are you doing on that side of the fence?    
                                                                                                                              I live over on this side.
Are there a lot of people on that side?
                                                                                                                                   Hundreds.
On the count of three let's say how old we are. Ok?
                                                                                                                                     Ok.
1..2..3
                                                                I'm nine years old.
                                                                                                                           Hey, were the same age!
Yeah! Now lets say our birthdays.
                                                                                                                                Ok. 1...2...3
                                                                April 15th, 1934.
Are we twins?         
                                                                                                                            I don't know.
Well we sure seem like it. Why aren't you over here?

                                                                  I'm not sure. I was taken here when I was little with my family.

Oh. Yeah I was taken from my house in Berlin too.
                                                                                                               But it's not the same.
Why?
                                                                                                           You see those people over there?
Who the soldiers?  
                                                          Yes. They are bad. People on my side of the fence don't like them.
I don't like them either.
                                                         Especially Lieutenant Kotler.
You know him?
                             Yes, very well actually. He was one of the people who took my family from our home.

He is really weird and he creeps me out a lot.
                                                                                                        You don't know the half of it.
Well I should get going.    
                                                                                                                  Yeah me too.
I'll see you tomorrow.
                                                                                                                   Maybe.
What?
                                                                                                                Nothing.
                                                               Bye.












2 comments:

  1. I commented on:
    Athziry's
    Carlos'
    Leanna's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you showed the differences and similarities between each character and the different situations they're in. I especially like how at the end Shmuel hints at how he might not be around to see the next day because of being at what I can guess, a concentration camp. The syntax of each character you chose to write about really shows how they're kids, but still mature which suggests the time period. Kids during the 1940's were a bit more mature then we are today considering they've been through a lot more than we have. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete